GREENVIET BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION CENTRE
2015-09-01 02:50:12 | Admin
The Non-Governmental Organization GreenViet derived from an idea of PhD. Ha Thang Long and a group of young researchers who were doing a study on biodiversity conservation in Kon Ka Kinh National Park, Gia Lai Province, 2006.
These founders have a desire that GreenViet will be a place for passionate people who want to find out, research, and spread the value of biodiversity to all Vietnamese people. In order to raise awareness and find out solutions to boost community’s responsibility for preserving wild animals, eco-friendly living, using biodiversity resources sustainably.
Ideas come to reality
Beginning: GreenViet group had only 4 people: Mr. Ha Thang Long, Mr. Lanh Tuan Bao, and Mr. Tran Huu Vy and Ms. Nguyen Thi Tinh when they studied the gray-shanked Douc langur’s ecological behaviors in Kon Ka Kinh National Park, Gia Lai Province. The desire to establish GreenViet organization of these people got stronger and stronger along the long field trip study that group took in 2006 – 2008.
Human Resources: After the study program, GreenViet group still continued and upgraded their capacities by joining the Biodiversity Conservation Program of Frankfurt Zoological Society from 2009 to 2011 in Kon Ka Kinh. The GreenViet group had 7 members at that time.
GreenViet members participated in organizing raising capacity in management program in Kon Ka Kinh National Park. They trained Forest Rangers the laws, showed them how to assess and monitor the biodiversity, built up an monitor biodiversity program at Ranger Stations in Kon Ka Kinh National Park. Besides, GreenViet’s members also organized some courses for local people, especially for the Ba Na ethnic to raise awareness about biodiversity. Moreover, they focused on educating in Nature for students at secondary schools.
Out of the conservation activities, GreenViet’s members continued to join in a program to study and monitor the primates and small animals such as: Kon Ka Kinh National Park, Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park, Cuc Phuong National Park, Van Long Natural Conservation Area, Hon Heo Peninsula.
GreenViet: In September, 2011, all of the necessary preparations for the GreenViet Centre included in: organizing structures, discussing future activities, opening networks, promoting for Centre were all done. The GreenViet’s founders has 9 people at this time.
In October 14th 2012, GreenViet was got the license to be officially established with the name "Biodiversity conservation centre - GreenViet" by local authority.
GreenViet would like to become a prestigious Centre on doing research and consultancy, communication and education, and policy advocacy in the field of biodiversity in Central Vietnam and Central Highlands.
GreenViet takes action to help communities understand, respect, and adopt an eco-friendly lifestyle by researching, conserving and disseminating the values of biodiversity.
1. Towards Communities and Partners
- Being always a prestigious partner;
- Understanding, loving and being a company with communities;
- Prioritizing dialogues;
- Being transparent and clear.
2. Towards Nature and Biodiversity
- Saying no to wildlife products;
- Loving and dedicatedly taking actions to save nature;
- Disseminating the image of red-shanked douc langur.
3. Within GreenViet’s members
- Promoting human development;
- Being transparent and clear;
- Supporting and sharing;
- Respecting differences and common rules;
- Promoting creativity.
1. Activity Areas
- Research on Biodiversity, Natural Resources
- Propose measures to protect Biodiversity and use Natural Resources sustainably
- Study the effect of Climate Change on Biodiversity and Human life
- Support young researchers and students from Universities and Colleges who study on Biodiversity and Climate Change.
- Educate knowledge about Biodiversity, Environment and Natural Resources
- Educate local community about the consequence of Climate Change and methods to response the Threat of Climate Change.
- Provide eco-friendly products to encourage local community in protecting environment.
- Share documents with local authorities during their policy-making process in order to foster better Biodiversity and Environment protection, Climate Change adaptation.
- Cooperate with other organizations to implement research results and application within registered activities.
2. Plans in term 2013 – 2020
- Evaluate current situation and monitor diversity of Primate in Danang City.
- Research and Preserve Douc langur in Son Tra Natural Conservation.
- Establish a mini museum about Biodiversity and an associated club in Danang city for training young people in eco-friendly skills.
- Hold workshops, meetings and contests to know more about the role of Biodiversity together the development of the City.
- Organize some activities to push up the awareness of the Environment in the City. That may help to contribute a little effort to the goal of the City in becoming the environmental City in 2020.
- Organize some programs about investigating, researching about the Biodiversity in some Province in the Central of Vietnam.
- Build up methods to respond to the threat of Climate Change and reduce disasters in the Central of Vietnam.
GreenViet's team is made up of a dynamic group of committed conservationists who believe in Vietnamese's capacity to protect their own biodiversity. Click here to meet our team.